“Seven Dimensions” gives holistic focus to wellness at Sharon Towers.
Wellness has always been a major concentration of the care given to residents of Sharon Towers. Now that focus will take a particular shape, as events, amenities and staff interaction adopt the “Seven Dimensions of Wellness” model of care.
Developed by the International Council on Active Aging® (ICAA), this approach embraces the philosophy that individuals, regardless of age or ability, can live as fully as possible. The “Seven Dimensions of Wellness” are Emotional, Environmental, Intellectual (or Cognitive), Physical, Professional (or Vocational), Social and Spiritual.
“Traditionally, senior care has emphasized management of disease and disability in the individual,” says Jessica Bourque, Director of Recreation and Resident Services at Sharon Towers. “The Seven Dimensions of Wellness is a holistic approach which focuses on prevention and proactive care. That fits perfectly with the importance Sharon Towers places on nurturing each individual’s needs.”
A new position has been created for a staff member who will oversee the program, integrating the Seven Dimensions philosophy into all aspects of life for residents of Sharon Towers. Plans include increased interaction between departments and a fresh look at all resident activities for ways to integrate the Seven Dimensions of Wellness” approach.
Below are some activities or attributes of life at Sharon Towers listed under the dimension addressed:
- On-site counseling and pastoral services
- A caring staff attuned to the emotional needs of seniors
- Pet-friendly campus
- Beautiful wooded and naturally landscaped campus
- Walking paths
- Recycling program
- Hands-on classes and lecture series
- Games and activities designed to keep the mind sharp
- Enrichment lecture series
- An on-site Health Care Center
- Fitness specialist
- Long-term nursing care available 24/7
- Wellness Center with medication assistance, vitals monitoring and lab work, general health evaluations
- Fully-equipped Exercise Room
- Aquatics Center with indoor lap pool, spa, changing rooms and certified instructor
- Group fitness classes
- Arts and crafts studio
- Woodworking shop
- Volunteer opportunities
- Multiple daily events, activities, and organized groups and clubs
- Group outings to area attractions
- Concierge and companion services
- Shaded and sunny outdoor spaces for eating, reading, and socializing
- Interfaith chapel
- Bible study and prayer groups
- Transportation to church if required